Local

Oct 4, 2013 7:13 PM by Brian White

18 middle schoolers hospitalized for overdosing on Clonidine

DOUGLAS, AZ - At least 18 students from Ray Borane Middle School have been sent to the hospital for taking Clonidine, a prescription drug used to treat high blood pressure and ADHD.

Arizona Poison Control Center's Dr. Keith Boesen says the students were treated for taking the medication.

Douglas Fire Chief Mario Novoa confirms that those 15 students were admitted to hospitals throughout the area, including one in Tucson.

The other students were sent to a hospital in Bisbee and the Southeast Arizona Medical Center in Douglas.

Half of those students who were admitted have since been released as of 4 p.m. Friday, Southeast Arizona Medical Center CEO Annie Benson said.

Sheila Rogers, the superintendent for Douglas schools, issued a statement to families:

"A student at Ray Borane Junior High School in Douglas, Arizona, is believed to have brought drugs to school today, October 4, 2013, and shared them with several other students. The Douglas School District responded immediately to the situation by seeking appropriate medical care for the students and contacting local law enforcement authorities."

Stay with News 4 Tucson online and on your mobile device. We'll have the latest on-air starting at 4.

»Comments

More News

Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4