Posted: Sep 4, 2013 6:17 PM by Sam Salzwedel
Updated: Sep 5, 2013 3:49 AM
TUCSON - The attorney of a boy punched by the Sahuaro High School principal wants the principal to retract a statement he called slanderous.
Christopher Bonn confronted the 16-year-old, who was in a car with his step-daughter, around 4 a.m. Monday. The parents say she snuck out of the house.
The boy hired Jesse Smith to protect his victim's rights. Smith said filing a civil suit is a possibility.
"I am a father," Smith said. "I would be concerned, but I wouldn't be attacking the boy. She wasn't being held captive. She was out there voluntarily. It was a guy she had been dating for a long time. And again, there was nothing romantic or sexual going on. They were just talking, and there was absolutely no justification for this kind of brutal attack."
A statement from Bonn's attorney said the boy is a drug user and had a gun.
"They were really shocked to hear this allegation," Smith said. "This young man has absolutely no prior police contacts of any kind. He has never been suspended from school."
Bonn's attorney, Brad Roach, said his client is confident he will be found not guilty because the boy was reaching for a gun.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More