Posted: Mar 15, 2013 4:47 AM by Swetha Iyengar
Updated: Mar 15, 2013 4:47 AM
TUCSON - Firefighters were called to put out a late-night grease fire at an apartment on the Northwest side.
Northwest Fire Dept. responded to the Village of the Foothills shortly after 11 pm last night. Crews went inside the apartment and found smoke had spread throughout the unit, but most of the flames had been tamed by a fire extinguisher.
Investigators with Northwest Fire say three people were in the apartment and started making "late night snacks" while playing video games. They turned the stove top on high, to heat oil then left the kitchen and began playing video games.
The trio soon noticed a fire coming from the cooking pan and evacuated the apartment. One of them, a 24 years-old man rushed down stairs and used his fist to break the glass of the fire extinguisher box. He went back to the apartment to put out some of the flames.
We're told he was treated for minor injuries at the scene before seeking further care at a local hospital.
The two residents of the apartment will be staying with friends until repair from smoke and fire damage to the unit is repaired. There are no estimates to the cost of the damage available at this time.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories