Mar 28, 2013 7:02 AM by Rebecca Taylor
TUCSON - Three families are displaced, including small children after a fire ripped through their East side apartments.
It happened at Pantano and Golf Links Wednesday afternoon.
The fire caused extensive damage.
Fire officials say the cause was a cigarette that someone tossed away carelessly.
Neighbors are pulling together to help those effected.
Bright orange flames were fanned by the wind.
Neighbor Larry Boykin says, "There was a lot of black and grey smoke. You couldn't tell what was burning."
Boykin lives in a neighboring complex, his dog Ringo alerted him.
"It started at the end apartment and looked like it came this way. Took up two or three apartments," he describes.
Captain Barrett Baker with Tucson Fire says, "Heavy winds were basically pushing the fire from backyard to backyard to backyard."
Baker says in all seven people are displaced including three kids. Everyone, including four cats got out safely.
It was a close call for a resident living in the second unit.
"I mean it's a terrifying thing when all of a sudden you have an orange glow in your backyard and that person ended up scrambling just trying to get out of middle complex and save her cats as well," said Baker.
"I hope all they lost was material possessions, I hope no one was hurt," says Boykin. "You can always replace material possessions but if you had anybody hurt in the fire that's a lot harder to recover from."
Luckily there were no injuries. One family is being helped by the Red Cross.
5 hours ago