Posted: Jan 15, 2013 9:43 PM
Updated: Jan 16, 2013 12:52 AM
Tucson- With the extreme temperatures has experienced this week, the top priority for people is staying warm. With that comes a heightened risk for heating related tragedies.
According Tucson Fire Public Information Officer, Barrett Baker, carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the most dangerous, "It's silent, it's deadly,its tasteless, its odorless, you don't know its there, but it is having major impacts on your body."
Carbon monoxide or CO, is a by-product of items that generate heat, such as grills, stoves and all types of heaters. without an alarm it very difficult to detect. Symptoms are described as flu-like and include nauseousness, dizziness and vomiting. If multiple people in your home are experiencing the same symptoms first responders advise getting out of your home immediately and calling 911.
One good way to protect your family is to install a carbon monoxide alarm in your home, near bedrooms and in the kitchen.
Tucson Firefighter, Mike Sierra says that while being poisoned is remote it pays to be safe, "A vast majority of these calls are false alarms but we go and check everyone out, said Sierra, "we want to make sure that people know that if they do have a problem from an alarm going off that they should call 911 and get us responding right away."
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories