Jan 4, 2013 7:46 PM by Erika Flores

Nogales family coping with New Year's Day fire

NOGALES- A Nogales family is now homeless after their home goes up in flames.

It happened New Year's Day.

The family is living out of a hotel for now just thankful they're alive and that's because of their smoke detector.

Firefighters said 80 to 90 percent of the home was damaged by heat, fire water and steam.

The table is still set with holiday plates and a melted New Year's hat sits on the couch.

"Very sad very sad...That's how we started the New Year," said Jorge Sanchez.

Just after 5 a.m. New Year's Day, firefighters got the call that the Sanchez home was on fire.

"It's very sad to see our house get destroyed. A home that we worked so hard for," said Jorge.

Jorge, his wife Lourdes and three children had lived in this home for 15 years.

"It's really tough to start the New Year this way," said Jorge.

Their only distraction is working at their restaurant Taqueria Soto.

Firefighters said the fire started in one of the daughter's bedrooms.

Lourdes said her daughter was burning a candle.

"It's common for us to light candles especially on New Year's," said Lourdes.

Lourdes said her daughter awoke to the sound of the smoke detector.

She quickly tried to wake up everyone else.

"I couldn't even wake up. I didn't wake up until my daughter said again, 'wake up you're going to burn--the house is burning down," said Lourdes.

They all escaped safely from the second fire in their lives.

The first was in 2011 when one of their restaurants burned down.

"This is the worst thing that could happen to a person because when we lost the restaurant, we didn't feel as bad as this time--losing our home," said Lourdes.

They said they are happy to be alive and grateful for the help they've received from Red Cross and the community during this difficult time.


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4