Aug 8, 2014 3:15 PM
Tempeh Reuben, by Robert Oser for Hippievegan.com
A simple and delicious reuben! Great for a picnic or a quick dinner!
• 1 8 oz. package of tempeh, sliced thinly
• 2 Tbsp. tamari
• 8 slices whole grain, rye, pumpernickel or gluten-free bread
• 2 cups sauerkraut
• 4 slices red onion (optional)
• 8 slices tomato
• 4 slices vegan cheese (see below)
• 4 Tbsp. vegan thousand-island dressing (see below)
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Place tempeh slices on an oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle with tamari. Place in the oven to bake about 25 minutes.
Toast the bread. Spread it with cashew cheese.
Place toast with cheese on the bottom, layered with tempeh, onion slice, 2 tomato slices, ½ cup sauerkraut and a Tbsp. dressing. Top with the other slice of toast. Serve hot with pickle or cucumber slices. Enjoy!
Vegan Cashew Herbed Cream Cheese
(makes ½ cup)
• ½ cup raw cashews, soaked for at least an hour (reserve soaking water)
• ½ tsp. dill
• 1 tsp. fresh parsley, minced
• pinch of sea salt
• 1 Tbsp. Lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
If too dry, add as much of the soaking water as you need to get a good consistency
(makes 1 cup)
• ½ cup vegan mayonnaise
• ¼ cup pickle relish
• ¼ cup natural ketchup
• Juice of 1 lemon (optional)
• Pinch of garlic powder (optional)
Mix all ingredients together well and refrigerate until needed. Enjoy!
Chef Robert Oser is a chef, cookbook author and gardener focusing on fresh organic gardening.
6 hours ago