Posted: Jun 29, 2013 9:04 PM by Sam Salzwedel
Updated: Jul 30, 2013 10:50 AM
TUCSON - A transformer exploded and knocked out power in a Northwest Side neighborhood Saturday.
Northwest Fire responded near Orange Grove Road and Camino De La Tierra around 5:15 p.m.
Bo Spencer lost electricity at his house.
"It was smoldering and smoking and dripping lots of fluid," he said about the transformer. "There was a bad smell, a big boom and shook the windows."
Mary Powell-McConnell lost power and she was worried about her dogs.
"It's pretty bad," she said. "I'm getting pretty hot just standing out here talking. So hopefully, I get into the house and get something cold to drink, and I will cool down some."
Tucson Electric Power did not immediately confirm a cause, but Northwest Fire Capt. Adam Goldberg said they receive many heat-related calls this time of year.
"Mechanical issues occur when it gets hot," Goldberg said, "and that's a general statement that is across the board. Whether it's air conditioners, cars, compressors at construction sites, and perhaps, maybe even transformers. But TEP will have to be the experts to tell you what took place today."
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More