Jul 4, 2014 8:27 PM by Stefanie Boe

Where to turn if your pet runs away during 4th festivities

TUCSON - What should you do if your dog or cat runs off during the 4th of July celebrations? The first tip from pet experts is to take action immediately, don't assume your furry friend can find his or her way home.

The Humane Society of Southern Arizona has a full list of tips for you:

File a lost report and make a personal search of our shelter at 3450 N. Kelvin Blvd. every day. Our lost and found phone number is 327.6088, ext. 111. You may also submit a lost report and attach a digital photograph (JPEG) of your animal at LostAndFound@hssaz.org.

Take immediate action to locate your lost pet! This includes a lost dog or lost cat poster you can post in your neighborhood. Visit our lost & found flyer section to download the applicable file.

HSSA's Lost & Found staff works full time to reunite pets and their owners. We operate a telephone service and computer database with descriptions of found animals and those reported to us each day. There is no charge for our lost and found reporting service.

If you find a stray, contact us immediately so we may help search for its owner. Our lost and found phone number is 327.6088, ext. 111.

Call Pima Animal Care Center at 243.5900, and visit their shelter in person at 4000 N. Silverbell Road daily to view all incoming animals. (Frequent, personal visits are important; do not rely on phone information alone!)

Immediately talk to neighbors and post notices throughout the neighborhood and at all major intersections near where the pet was lost.

As soon as possible, place a "Lost Animal" ad in the TNI Classifieds at 573.4343. Please also check the found ads in the TNI Classifieds on a daily basis.

If your pet is microchipped, notify the company with which the chip is registered, and be sure your information is up to date.

Picture courtesy: HSSA Website, Adoptable dog Domino ID#: 774908


Most Popular

Top Videos

1 2 3 4