Posted 12:54 PM 4/24/2013 : Vanilla lavender ice cream
TUCSON - Kristel Johnson from Isabella's Ice Cream stopped by the studio to make us a treat that will cool you down.
Vanilla-Lavender ice cream!
Here is what you need:
2 Cups of heavy cream
1 Cup whole milk
3/4 Cup pure cane sugar
pinch of salt
1 vanilla bean (split lengthwise)
2 Tablespoons dried culinary lavender flowers
5 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
(Yield 1-1.5 quart)
1. Heat milk, cream, sugar and salt in saucepan over medium heat
2. in a separate bowl whisk egg yolks...add 2 Tablespoons of the warm cream mix to the egg yolk, whisking as you pour
3. pour egg yolks into the cream mix on stove, whisking as you pour to incorporate the egg...cook on low heat stirring constantly until custard begins to thicken (be careful not to cook the egg)
4. strain mixture into a bowl
5. Slice vanilla bean lengthwise and scrape the seeds from the vanilla bean into the mixture, then add the bean pod
6. add the lavender flowers to mixture
7. add vanilla extract
8. cover and cool in refrigerator for a minimum of 8 hours (or overnight) to infuse the lavender and vanilla
9. strain the lavender and vanilla bean pod from the mixture
10. pour chilled mix into ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- ice cream will be like "soft-serve" I suggest freezing for a few hours before serving...garnish with a few lavender flowers!
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More