Posted 4:27 PM 1/30/2013 : Let's Make a Meal: Black bean cakes for your Super Bowl menu
TUCSON - In today's Let's Make a Meal on News 4 Tucson at 4:00, food contributor Jennifer English offers an alternative for your Super Bowl menu.
Jennifer says she suspects that many people will revive their traditions and serve a hearty, mid-winter chili of some sort. Maybe Gumbo or Jumbalaya will be offered as a nod to host city New Orleans. No matter what you are serving, Black Bean Cakes are the perfect companion to whatever chili or crab dish this year's game might inspire you to create. This will be the one that people will ask you about afterwards, no matter what else you serve.
The connection to this recipe and the game is a rather celestial one, it comes from the Stars. Specifically it comes from Chef Jeremiah Tower's legendary Stars restaurant in San Francisco. San Francisco Forty-Niners-Stars-Black Bean Cakes.
Chef Tower has recently released the Kindle book 'A Dash of Genius'. This extremely brilliant and impossible to put down book about Chef Auguste Escoffier makes one appreciate how the great ones make the humble exalted. Like the little black bean.
Black Bean Cakes with Sour Cream
· 3 c. cooked black beans (I use canned)
· 1 tsp ancho chili powder
· 1 tsp ground cumin
· 1 sm green chili pepper Warm,stemmed, seeded,
· finely minced
· 1/2 c. cilantro coarsely minced
· 3/4 tsp salt
· 1/2 c. nonfat low fat sour cream (or possibly yogurt)
· 1 tsp low fat milk
· 1/4 c. rendered duck fat lard, or possibly extra virgin olive oil
· (original use only sufficient to coat pan) (The duck fat makes this extra tasty)
· 1/4 c. salsa fresca
· 24 sprigs cilantro washed, spun dry
1. Cook beans as in Black Bean Soup recipe, but before you grind them, let them drain for about 2 hours. Do not worry if they look terrible after sitting which long. Save the liquid for soup.
2. NOTE: You may use canned black beans, too.
3. Put the cooked beans through a food mill or possibly food processor or possibly meat grinder. Mix them with chili pwdr, cumin, fresh chili, cilantro leaves, and salt into a paste.
4. Roll the paste into 4 equal balls. Put each ball between two sheets of waxed paper. Press them into rounds 1/8 inch thick between the palms of your hand. set aside.
5. Whisk lowfat sour cream and lowfat milk till smooth.
6. Heat oil in nonstick pan or possibly griddle. When pan is warm, put in cakes and cook 2 minutes. on each side.
7. Put cakes on awrm plates, spoon lowfat sour cream in middle of each cake. Spoon the salsa on the lowfat sour cream. Garnish the plates with cilantro leaves.
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Help those in need this holiday season
Win! Win! Win!
Wise Local Marketing!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Let us help grow your business
Digital Channel 4.2
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More