Posted 3:41 PM 2/13/2013 : Two caviar scallops and berry heart cake
I believe that when you cook for the people you love, everyday is Valentines Day. If you want to make a special effort this year doe your Valentine., I have three of my favorite things. The first is a simple seared scallop dish that takes less than 10 minutes to make. It is rich, luxurious and affordable thanks to the availability of good American caviar which ranges in price from under $10 per serving, and available at TRader Joes, Whole Foods & online.
The scallop dish when paired with the Kiss of Light Margarita is lovely. I think you will agree. This is Carlos Santana's own Valentines Day Recipe.
For those who eat desert first, this mixed berry cake from Driscoll's is a bright, fresh, splendid way to say I love you. Happy Valentines day.
Scallops with Two Caviars
• 8 sea scallops
• 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 1/4 cup brandy
• 2 cups heavy cream
• salt, freshly ground pepper
• 4 teaspoons black caviar
• 4 teaspoons golden salmon caviar
• Nastrium blossoms for decoration
Slice each scallop into 2 equal discs. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a pan and saute the scallops in the pan briefly until barely opaque. Add the brandy, ignite and flame for several seconds. Cover to smother the flames and remove the scallops from the pan.
Add the cream to the pan and boil until it reduces by half. Remove from the heat and whisk in the remaining butter in small dabs. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and divide it among 4 warm plates. Arrange 4 scallop halves on top of the sauce on each plate.
Top each scallop with 1/2 teaspoon of caviar, alternating between black and golden caviar. Garnish each plate with a nastrium blossom and serve.
Tsar Nicoulai website link for the caviar is: www.tsarnicoulai.com
The El Beso de Luz Margarita from Carlos & Cindy Santana
2 oz. Casa Noble Crystal
1/2 oz. Licor 43
1 oz. lime juice
1/4 orange squeeze & drop.
The Arizona Cocktail Week link to my seminar
Mixed Berry Heart Cake
Heart Shaped Cake
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 3/4 cups granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoons salt
• 1/2 cups milk
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
• 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
• 1 cup boiling water
Icing for Heart Shaped Cake
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• 1/4 cups low-fat and spreadable margarine
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
• 3 drops red food coloring
Garnish for Heart Shaped Cake
• 2 packages (6 ounces each) Driscoll's Raspberries
• 2 packages (6 ounces each) Driscoll's Blueberries
• 1 package (16 ounces) Driscoll's Strawberries
Prepare Heart Shaped Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Stir together flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt in mixing bowl. Mix in milk, oil and vanilla with a fork until smooth. Spread batter evenly into a 10-inch heart-shaped pan, prepared with canola cooking spray. The batter should be thick. Sprinkle with brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa. Pour boiling water over batter. Bake 40 minutes. Let stand at least 15 minutes, until cool. Remove cake from pan and invert so the bottom is now the top.
Prepare Icing for Heart Shaped Cake
1. Combine confectioners' sugar, margarine, vanilla, milk and food coloring until smooth and creamy in a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer. Frost cooled cake with icing.
Garnish Heart Shaped Cake
1. Top with Driscoll's berries, following design in photo.
Check out the latest events FC Tucson has scheduled.
Help those in need this holiday season
Click here to submit a news tip to us!
Become a Facebook Fan!
Sign up on KVOA.com for newsletters, exclusive deals, and more!
Win! Win! Win!
Get news, weather and more on your smartphone and tablet!
Get texts for news, traffic, deals and more!
Stories and videos with Kristi's Kids
What's happening on News 4 @ 4
Let us help grow your business
What's on KVOA and when!
Contact info for our department heads
FCC Public File of Records, Reports, and More
KVOA's on air personalities!
Work at News 4 Tucson
Complete feeds of all KVOA.com stories